Saturday, February 16, 2008

To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, I really hate to admit it, but I got full on sick :( I thought I was going to sneak through the staining job and flu season without any real damage, but yesterday, it hit me. I had a fever, headache and was pretty much bed-ridden all day. My honey brought me my lemon, Sulphurzyme water, tea and a cool cloth for my head. I took a hot, ginger epsom salt bath and weaved in and out of sleep while watching Planet Earth. Today, I feel much better already. The sun was shining and I played with the dogs outside and even left our door open for hours-fresh air in February! I'm going to have to re-start the count for my "it's been so-and-so years since I've been sick", but I figure I just stopped drinking and started eating mostly raw less than 4 months ago and have had pretty much had zero detox symptoms, so I need to give myself a little slack. It's about the journey, right? And life works in such mysterious ways. Lessons learned...Avoid staining projects in the middle of winter when the ventilation is less than desirable...If you do stain, try to use water-based products and atleast, for goodness sakes, wear a mask!! In a talk with one of my amigas today, I said, "getting sick this time of the year really makes me crave the sun, like it would heal me instantly". I just checked my inbox and received this helpful info from naturaw.com...

Three years ago an influenza epidemic swept through the maximum-security hospital of the insane where Dr. John Cannell worked.
Dr Cannel noticed that although wards all around his became infected, no patients on his ward became ill, despite intermingling of both patients and nurses. The only difference between his ward patients and other patients was that his ward had been taking 2,000 units of vitamin D3 every day for several months.
Previous to the out break, Dr Cannell Had read a journal that showed that vitamin D3 was a potent antibiotic, working by increasing the body's production of proteins called antimicrobial peptides. Antimicrobial peptides destroy the cell walls of bacteria, fungi, and viruses, including the influenza virus.
Dr. Cannell deductions were as follows:
1) The flu predictably occurs in the months following the winter solstice, when vitamin D3 levels are at their lowest. 2) influenza is more common in the tropics during the rainy season when sunlight is at its lowest. 3) Children exposed to sunlight are less likely to get colds. 4) Cod liver oil (which contains vitamin D3) reduces the incidence of viral respiratory infections. 5) Elderly who live in countries with high vitamin D consumption, like Norway, are less likely to die in the winter. 6) Epidemic influenza kills roughly a million people every year worldwide, usually by causing pneumonia.
Vitamin D may be a key hidden nutrient that can help prevent and treat the flu. Further Research shows that Vitamin D is also a key vitamin in overcoming 1) Heart Disease 2) Cancer 3) Diabetes 4) Inflammatory Bowl Disease 5) Rheumatoid Arthritis 6) Multiple Sclerosis 7) Osteoporosis 8) Autoimmune diseases
In Sumation, a big Thumbs up on Andrographis paniculata, Olive leaf Extract, Oregano Oil, Zinc, Elderberry, and Garlic. Thumbs Down on Airborne and Thumbs Down on Zicam.
The worst thing you can do is try to get back into the full work and not be totally recovered. I have seen too many folks jump back to quick, then go down again because they are not fully recovered. We get a yo-yo effect that will keep you down longer than if you just stayed down and fully recuperated.
Vitamin D deficiency causes muscle weakness and muscle aches and pains in both children and adults. Mayo Clinic research talks about vitamin D3 and calcium eliminating mysterious aches and pains in the muscles and joints of their patients. They specifically talk about potential misdiagnosis of fibromyalgia, when the problem could well be vitamin D3 deficiency - something that can be easily tested for, and fixed.
Mayo clinic Research tested 150 children and adults in the study, which included 6 broad categories of ethnic groups, Overall, 93% of the were vitamin D- deficient
It has been estimated that 90% or more of our required vitamin D comes from exposure to sunlight. Anything that interferes with the penetration of solar ultraviolet radiation into the skin, such as increased melanin pigmentation and sunscreen use, will diminish the cutaneous production of vitamin D3.

Warm sun-shiny blessings! Kelly O

No comments: