Friday, October 10, 2008

Fall musings and Fruit rollup pics

Fall is so bittersweet. The gorgeous golden glow of the forest, the mystical chilled wind, the natural slowing down, the falling leaves. It dropped to 22 degrees this week. I thought the plants inside the hoophouse would still be free from frost, but I was wrong! The chard and greens are still kickin' but all those tomato,tomatillo and basil plants we have been nurturing are wilted into oblivion, making the slow decomposition back to the Earth. Such a beautiful rhythm!
And we have really great news! We have invested in a geodesic dome greenhouse!! Yahoo!! On October 16th, the pieces are leaving Colorado (thanks to www.growingspaces.com) and we expect them to arrive a few days later! We are so excited to become more and more self-sustainable and be able to grow fresh produce year-round in northern Montana! This is going to be quite an experimental adventure and I will be sure to post lots of photos along the way! It should be a stark contrast to my Juice Feasting adventure last January. For that month of radically abundant produce, I was able to get all the organic produce I wanted from our local Health Food store, mostly venturing from California and Washington. This Winter's produce will be right from our own property, not to mention the deep Joy I celebrate in when working with plants! Very exciting!

Also, I made another batch of raw fruit rollups from some apples I harvested locally and took some pics this time!
First, I chopped the apples and filled my Blendtec. I had some fresh apple cider we had pressed, so I added about a cup of that per blender batch, but that is optional. Simply add enough water to make the fruit blend. (I didn't have to add any water when I made the plum, apple rollups.) I also added a little cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Blend!



Then, spread it thick on teflex sheets and dehydrate at 105 degrees...


This time, I didn't roll them in wax paper and it worked great! A super delish snack that is great for the trails, road trips and camping!


LOVE!! Kelly

No comments: