Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Very Exciting Announcement!!!!

Michael and I are 16 weeks pregnant!! How's that for big news? We are so very happy, grateful and excited. We started sharing the good news right away (at about 6-7 weeks) and I wanted to share on here, but felt like I had so much to say and little desire to add more computer time to my life. Our computer is sometimes painfully slow and likes to just shut down occasionally, but we are looking into a new computer that might be more inspiring to blog more. I did experience a period (about 4 weeks) of relatively mild morning sickness...actually, it was more like all-day sickness. I thought "I'm so healthy, I'm not going to feel sick", but I did. I never thought I was going to vomit and never did, but it felt like a low to medium level of constant nausea. I desperately looked for subs for the yoga class I was teaching because rapid movement and bending over to touch my toes sounding like a really bad idea.


At times, all I wanted was a good quality ginger brew from the health food store and I finally bought the all-natural saltine crackers and they tasted like Heaven. Most raw foods are rapid transit foods and that is one of the amazing beauties of them, but when I feel nauseous (like I have experienced when traveling in the 3rd world), my body calls for something incredibly dry and plain. Green juice continued to be delicious (especially the "Buzz Bomb" from the local Bean Hive Cafe, which is a folic acid queen with spinach, beets and oranges. Fat sounded yuck, so away went any cravings for high-fat raw desserts and I gave away delicious little raw coconut pie tartlets that I had. The mega-high flavors of many raw foods sounded yuck as well and green smoothies sounded...yuck. I had some chlorella tablets that I hadn't used because I prefer the fresh powder and those came in handy, so I could swallow them, now that I wasn't desiring my usual green smoothie sludge.

I have also been adding local game to my diet. My husband is a hunter, who is as compassionate as you believe hunting can be. He spends so much time outside, knows that elk love to eat arnica and is so aware of life in the forest.This is something I have vacillated back and forth on in my mind. I honestly added it simply out of listening to my body. And eating local food is really important to me. I remember this Spring, I went to buy some bulk tahini from our health food store and couldn't because there was a world-wide shortage of sesame. This was a big wake up call. Where is sesame grown anyway? None of my nut/seed protein can come from a local source. I have definitely focused on honey as my main sweetener because I think it is amazing...and I can get it local. I do also use stevia because I love the no glycemic index. One of our local farmers (Judy at Terrapin) had baby stevia plants this Spring. It is a tropical plant, but so far it is still alive and well in the dome. My friend's children loved it and kept running to the greenhouse for more "sweet leaf".

As I have been feeling awesome in my 2nd trimester, loving physical activity (mostly mountain biking, walking and Yoga), I have also been enjoying adding more raw back in. After a walk with a fellow pregnant amiga and a green juice in town, I satisfied my chocolate craving with raw chocolate avocado-banana pudding. I have been really light on the raw cacao lately as it is my only source of caffeine and I have only recently craved in back in my diet again. Messages from my body and Spirit feel extremely clear (and sometimes urgent) at this time. All of a sudden, I can just lay down and be asleep instantly. Just from listening within, I have known what exercise and food feels appropriate & nourishing and the most important thing is that I feel unbelievably blessed to have this angel growing inside of me-it is such a miracle! I feel it's presence very much energetically and my massage practice feels beautifully enhanced. We are planning a home birth (due date is April 7th) and are not going to find out the gender ahead of time...it will be biggest, most joyous surprise ever!

I hope life finds you in deep Gratitude and effortless JOY! I send you love from my heart!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, Kelly. What a beautiful post! I love you so much! I am so grateful and blessed to have you as my daughter-in-law.....I could never have dreamed of a more wonderful wife for my beloved Michael. And now the mother of my precious angel grandbaby. Thank you for giving so of your lovely heart and self to growing 'our' healthy baby. It is so exciting to anticipate such a joyful occasion. LOVE, Nadine (Ma) :)

sara said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
I am also pregnant with my third, about 4 weeks behind you. I actually have been eating less raw food since about February because I started following an anti candida diet and I could not have fruit (or very limited) and dried fruit. I know some folks can handle that (eating a non sweet raw diet) but I couldn't it, especially not in the winter when I crave warmer foods anyhow. I actually found though that I felt pretty great on no sugar and it kind of helped me not be so rigid in my approach to my diet. Anyway, I hear you on the lack of control over the diet one possesses during the first trimester. I think the baby definitely dictates some of that. I have been eating a lot of eggs (happy hen local). Luckily, greens have sounded good to me pretty much the whole time and I am experimenting with more fruit, so I am hoping for some green smoothies. I am missing them. Oh, also- my yoga "work" focus in my town in prenatal, so it comes in handy when I am pregnant! :)

Raw in Montana! said...

Ma-in-law, Thank you so much for being so boundlessly full of love and support. It all began with you mamas and papas welcoming us into your bodies and lives-each day is an amazing journey!I got to hear the angel's heartbeat again yesterday and that was pure magical delight! All is well on the homefront (aka my belly!) love you!

Raw in Montana! said...

Sara, Congratulations on your pregnancy! I would love to hear how it goes along the way for you! What a particularly wonderful time to keep the sugar monsters out of your life...even the healthy raw sugar monsters can still throw me off kilter! Wishing you a happy, holy and healthy journey!

Anthony said...

I was so happy to read this and get caught up on your site!!! Everything looks so great and I was cheering when I saw the dome!!

I love have you are listening to your body instead of vegan dogma too! LOVE IT!!!! Wild game is so powerful and full of minerals that to group that with other farmed meats is just so atrocious. Good for you girl! And congrats on the addition to the family!!!!!!