Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Backpacking with wild foraging!



Aaah...we have just returned from a lovely weekend in the back country! It was so nice to spend such a busy holiday weekend completely immersed in nature. We came upon more snow than we had expected (we have had a late cool start this year) and often weren't exactly sure where the actual trail was, but everything worked out perfectly! There was just enough dry space for us to camp and on the ridge above, there were tons of glacier lilies and spring beauties, which are some of the yummiest edible flowers around!


We also nibbled on young fireweed, yellow violets and even found some stinging nettles down low. While I was showing my friend how to fold the leaf so the stingers don't get you when you eat them, my other amigo threw the whole top bud of the plant in his mouth for a nice surprise! Before we left, I was able to collect some nettles leaves that I am drying for tea. Here's the 411:
Nettle leaves are a storehouse of nutrition, with high iron and calcium contents, as well as an excellent source of folic acid, an essential nutrient during pregnancy. Nettle strengthens the kidneys and adrenals, while it relieves fluid retention. Because nettle also supports the vascular system, it can prevent varicose veins and hemorrhoids. Postpartum, it increases breast milk. Good stuff!
During the day, we each carved our own wooden spoons from fallen trees to enjoy our curried lentil soup with. So fun!! They turned out pretty good and it was a beautiful, meditative way to spend a cool day.

Have you ever played pigs? It's a fun, old game where you shake little plastic pigs like dice and get points for the different ways they land. Upright is called a "hoofer", on it's back with feet in the air is a "razorback", breakdancing on the side of his face is a "leaning jowler" and touching is "makin' bacon"! We found a gorgeous flat rock to play on and I'm proud to say I am the reigning champion! It reminds me of someone in Bali who was famous for wearing a shirt with a picture of a pig that said "Friend, not food." Simple pleasures...what are the simple pleasures of your day? Thank you to ya'll out there who leave comments on this blog, I love to hear from you and I apologize for not communicating back so much...I tend to hit a wall with my computer tolernace, but please know I love to hear from you!! XOXO, Kelly Ordway :)

No comments: